Wednesday, June 11, 2008

2 Days In Paris (2007) - 6.11.2008

This film confounds me. I have seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset enough times to be very much in love with Julie Delpy. Her association with Godard only makes her that much more attractive. It is hard for me to accept that someone could write and direct a film in which they portray such a slight antagonist. She is the bad guy here, but so barely that I could comprehend people disagreeing with me. This is a subtle villainy. I assume from what I understand of Delpy's life that this film is at least slightly more autobiographical than most of her work. She has poor eyesight (as her character does here) and was born and raised in Paris. Obviously I have never met Julie in person (so it is unfair for me to assume that her character here is even remotely a representation of herself) but this film forces me to ask whether I could write myself into a script as the antagonist.

P.S. I liked this a lot... if that was confusing.

5 stars.

No comments: