Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lifeforce (1985) - 6.13.2008

I am not quite sure how I had never heard of this movie. Apparently Quentin Tarantino played a trailer for this during his New Beverly festival and someone, who is amazing by the way, made a netflix list of movies mentioned therein. As a result, Lifeforce is on my Roku and today I checked it out. I was already embarrassed about not seeing it when Golan-Globus Productions came up so you can imagine how mortified I was to find Tobe Hooper's name following them. Later still in the opening credits, the score which I had been enjoying thus far and continued to throughout the film was credited to one Henry Mancini. At first confused by his appearance, I later found out this soundtrack was submitted to Hitchcock for his film Frenzy but apparently rejected. I am glad it was put to use. The first half of the movie is probably the most realistic alien vampire movie ever committed to film, but is that saying much? The second half is less acceptable. The special effects for the time are pretty incredible and the corpse animatronics and puppetry were really great. The film features appearances by Clockwork Orange's Aubrey Morris and also the great Captain Piccard. Definitely worth a look if you have somehow not heard of it either.

5 stars.

No comments: